You will be redirected to the related website.
This information helps us optimize our content and make surfing on our site more convenient for you. In some cases, cookies are also used to make specific information about our products available on websites of other providers. This is why we also work with external service companies which use the information obtained from cookies exclusively for this purpose.
The information obtained from cookies is not used for any further purpose.
You can adjust the settings on your browser so that you are notified whenever a server wants to send you a cookie. You can accept or reject cookies; you can also completely block them. Further information is available in the help function of your browser.
In light of the discussion about the use of Analysetools and complete IP addresses, we wish to state that this website works with Google Analytics and the "_anonymizeIp()" function; consequently, it only processes partial IP addresses so as to rule out identifying information.
You can refuse the use of Google Analytics by clicking on the following link. An opt-out cookie will be set on the computer, which prevents the future collection of your data when visiting this website: Disable Google Analytics.*
Sir Alexander Fleming and his discovery of the antibiotic penicillin more than 80 years ago revolutionised the treatment of bacterial infections. Since the discovery of this first antibiotic, many more modern and more effective antibiotics have been developed.
Only 20% of all antibiotics are used in hospital therapy. The remaining 80% are prescribed outside the hospital environment. However, some 50% of these patients are needlessly given antibiotics, usually because of a respiratory tract infection caused by a virus.
This indiscriminate use of antibiotics around the world has led to the development and spread of resistant bacteria, and this trend is still increasing.
In rare cases, antibiotic resistance occurs spontaneously without an identifiable external influence. But when they have to survive antibiotic therapy, bacteria can genetically mutate with unbelievable speed and frequency. And the more antibiotics are used, the more quickly bacterial resistance develops.
Growing resistance in Europe
In 2002, a scientific study highlighted the link between the frequency with which antibiotics are used and the number of resistant bacterial strains in the overall European population. It showed that the number of prescribed antibiotics correlates positively with the occurrence of bacterial resistance.
Resistance as a function of antibiotic consumption
This antibiotic resistance means that nowadays even trivial bacterial infections sometimes need to be treated with ”reserve antibiotics”. It also means that increasing numbers of bacterial strains are developing resistance to these emergency medications.
The most serious situation occurs when a bacterial pathogen becomes resistant to all currently available antibiotics. If the immune system can′t protect itself against this sort of pathogen, septic shock may result, with multiple organ failure and ultimately death. Multi-resistant bacteria are already causing around 50,000 deaths per year in Europe.
The American Food and Drug Administration (FDA) formulates it as follows:
”Antibiotic resistance is a growing public health concern worldwide. When a person is infected with an antibiotic-resistant bacterium, not only is treatment of that patient more difficult, but the antibiotic-resistant bacterium may spread to other people.”
When antibiotics don′t work, the result can be: